Two days ago I introduced the WHAT: raise $10,000 for charity by Sept. 22, 2013.
Yesterday I discussed WHY. “And this time I have a plan.”
The rest of this week we’ll focus on the WHO and the HOW.
- Monday through Thursday I am going to introduce you to the 4 organizations I would like to support over the next year.
- Friday I am going to explain the mechanisms behind my plan, and describe how YOU can get involved.
The first organization I would like to highlight is the HerShe Group.
I’m going to start my description of the HerShe mission with a little bit of shock and awe. Look at a few sobering statistics I pulled from the HerShe website:
- 7 out of 10 foster youth will be homeless within one year of emancipation
- 6 out of 10 foster youth will be incarcerated within one year of emancipation
- 1 out of 10 foster youth go to college; of those only 1 out of 100 will graduate
- 1 out of 2 girls in foster care have been physically and/or sexually abused
- Foster youth in the system for 4 years or more have lived in 47 different homes
The HerShe mission:
The HerShe Group prepares girls in foster care to successfully transition from adolescence to adult independence through the performing arts, mentorship, college & career readiness, leadership development and exposure to extraordinary experiences.
I’ve had the privilege of meeting and participating in several activities with the wonderful people who run this organization, and to personally witness the impact their efforts have made on so many girls in the foster care system. I am particularly proud of my wife Lauren – she is a HerShe mentor and works hard to provide a strong presence and guiding hand in the life of a fantastic young lady in the HerShe program.
Over the course of the next 363 days I will be offering up opportunities to get to know more about HerShe, and to let you know ways that you can assist their cause. This is one of the organizations I would like to support, and have set a target of raising $2,000 for their mission by Sept. 22, 2013.